2023 Best of the Net Nominations
September 29, 2023
Hello friends. Despite the “second summer” weather we are having in Nebraska this week, it is September and that means it’s “Best of the Net” season. Once again, we are aware other journals have had their nominations in for a while, but we work well under pressure so deadlines are great. To be fair, the noms were actually submitted yesterday which is two days ahead of when we pulled the trigger last year. That’s progress right?!
For those who don’t know, Best of the Net is an annual contest operated by Sundress Publications that is designed to elevate and celebrate a growing collection of writers and publishers who are opening the door to transformation through art, online. More about the contest can be found here.
This year we were allowed to nominate two fiction stories, two creative nonfiction essays, six poems, and three pieces of art published between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023. For us, this includes work appearing in issue #8, 9, 10, or 11. With that, we’re thrilled to announce the following nominations:
- Where by Rhea Bryce ~ Issue #9 ✅
- Who Takes the Bus in LA by Marc Eichen ~ Issue #10 ✅
- Creative Nonfiction
- Backwards and Blind by Helyn Trickey Bradley ~ Issue #8 ✅
- Iowa Blues, and Greens by Summer Hammond ~ Issue #10 ✅
- For Those of Us Forced to Flee by Jane Muschenetz ~ Issue #8 ✅
- The Wax Poem by Andy Winter ~ Issue #9 ✅
- This is How the Body Knows by Soon Jones ~ Issue #10 ✅
- Migrant Wish by Moni Brar ~ Issue #10 ✅
- Nikah by Sarah Aziz ~ Issue #10 ✅
- Mugshot by Sara Burge ~ Issue #11 ✅
- Blooms of Hope by Marco Aversa ~ Issue #9 ✅
- Scarred Beauty by Gerburg Garmann ~ Issue #10 ✅
- Ocean of Stillness by Shrishti Tassin ~ Issue #11 ✅
I must say, narrowing this down gets tougher each year. We’re grateful to all of our contributors and want to wish a hearty congratulations to these fine writers and artists for being the best of our best.
Good luck snagging that prize!
Shyla Shehan & The Good Life Review Team